Saturday, February 2, 2008

International 110 as daysailer



The 110 is a perfect daysailer. It is small enough to be singlehanded. It is also big enough to go farther than a dinghy. Here are my daysailing adventures that I most enjoyed:
1. Going to Cavite Sangley Point. I did this in one of the hookey days I decided not to go to office. For this I had to cross a long route traversing from the yacht club past relatively open seas till I reached the Cavite peninsula. I could choose entering the small cove where the naval base were and observe old ships and old planes as this base is now unused. Or I could anchor beside the old runway and and enjoy the fresher breezes and the more open sea. The water here is now unpolluted and the views natural and provincial. The way to and fro is very enjoyable as the water is cleaner and the waves are bigger so that even if these splash against the bow and wet me, the salty taste is refreshing.
2. Past the breakwater and approaching old ships. I once ventured out to where old abandoned ships were anchored. They were hulking monsters forgotten and left for scrap. But as I approached these I could see their beauty if not mystery. It seems as the waves moved them a bit, for they seemed immobile , they groaned and let out strange deep sounds. The color of their sides were out of this world. a combination of rust, weathered sea grey and blue, cast iron. Especially when the setting sun with its warm colors touched them, they exhibited a palette that is both mysterious and inviting. And the vast size contributed to the fear that I felt as I did not know how near I could sail. I just rounded each several times as each time they exhibited new facets new angles new sounds new colors, like they wanted to tell me their past stories. Fascinating adventure.

No comments: