Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sigwada wins Championship Series

This is the journal log of the deciding last race in the Championship Series of the International 110 in our yacht club. I sailed my boat Sigwada and won the championship.

Last Race Championship Series International 110

moderate wind. rather smooth seas. shrouds middle tuning. do diamond middle tuning. use old main. tight jib luff. good preparation with water. remembered ongoing analysis. genoa lead slightly move to fore since smooth seas and moderate wind. tight moderate cunningham. moderate tight outhaul. variable vang. ready on traveller. sit on center. got windward mark 31 degrees. starboard tack favored. tried current and waves. same. starboard more heading but steady wind and favoredness overcompensates. I feel it's OK. tried spinnaker. OK jibing too prepared for start at starboard. Paq's wishes me luck. am not too aggressive in start. believe your watch not the starting gun. late and no speed. George behind but has speed. Wahoo and Tommy tack to starboard. Dan says too. I check with compass and say no. George stays on same tack but shortly also tacks ( I think now even if tack is favored, if there's a general shift of header, one should tack a false, yes indeed. still follow compass regardless of header or shift. tack only if header goes beyond 40 degrees out of windward mark heading. they also tacked to cover. my good point also my tack became lifted. also adjusted superbly. felt weather helm and adjusted traveller to leeward. analyzed and adjusted vang and cunningham waves lessened. nearing ship will be blanketed. wanted to get back to rhumbline. flawless tack and was ahead of the lot. just a little bit off the mark degrees wise. calculated-guessed really when to tack for mark. that's what I omitted-tacking angle. know before start. OK naman. got spin out. they're close on my heels. Tom below me. Wahoo climbed up slightly wrong mark not ship's buoy. brought down spinnaker quickly. below ship and closed reach up. pressure constant. one mistake and they'll all trample me. jibe mark still first, they're still close. spinnaker up fast. where's mark. that's also one thing you forgot that you were lucky. know where's next mark even before turning. my first time in pressure to become the leader. last time I overtook on the last leg. ordered jib out. good decision. pulled away. sat on center. no boat disturbance. cunningform eased. outhaul too. timpla sa vang. feel. Dan ready on trapeze. my orders were all clear. it's good to be on top of the situation. exact spot bring spinnaker down not too late not too early. better early really than late if either or. depende kung naghahabol late then fast down. if ahead slightly early don,t risk foul up. windward again. I know favored tack that's where I accelerated. after a speed built up, tacked to port. they're still after me and are they nearing? windward is hard to know if they're overtaking me na in distance. sensed if speed decreased. OK lang but parang a bit slower. tacked to starboard. Dan stays in leeward long. nagheheel ang boat. what also won for me is very few tacks. wind is steady anyway while they wasted on too many tacks. baka masiraan ako. felt tiller if weather helm I moved traveller to leeward. OK felt speed pick up. diretso. decided to tack for the mark again. am still ahead didn’t hit mark. tack once more. to leeward lucky to have correct jibe. again before turning know and decide on next course. buti na lang correct. slight broad reach. spin out quick. Tom and George hot behind. let not the wind die down. am I falling off? is Tom climbing? can we jibe now? sagarin natin. next jibe is reach. Tom jibes below me. I jibe. tamang tama next jibe is reach. good jibing angle is wide. tacking angle is narrow. here I pull away. my timing and distance is excelent. last leg. windward. will they overtake me. went again to original area. got headed shouldn't I tack. waited a bit (good so you'll know if it's just temporary or permanent) sige ng sige so I tacked got lifted and lifted. I pull away. malapit na. dapat sigurado. tacked to mark. full concentration on telltales. got headed. tacked back. didn't risk touching buoy. APPLAUSE! , SIGWADA 1st ahead of George and 1st in championship series!.

2 comments:

tjr said...

" ... men are not made for safe havens." - a favorite quote of Robert Kennedy, inspired by Athenian history

shakuhachi-sigwada said...

What a nice quote. The Kennedy's were avid sailors and courageous persons. Thanks for the comment.