Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dreams of sailing when young


I was always enamored of sailing at my early age. Even in elementary I marvelled at the sight of sailboats and dreamt of riding on them much more sail them. I doodled shapes of sailboats on my notebook and signed my name as USN or US Navy. I bought a small book on sailboats and read it cover to cover.
One time in high school we went for a vacation in Baguio. There were these sailboats for hire in Burnham Park and I got myself one. The breeze was blowing stiffly and I got out my handkerchief to find out the direction of the wind. I moved the sail accordingly and the boat sped past the others as I instinctively steered it across the small man made lake. It was an exhilirating feeling.
That was my first experience of sailing. I saw a white foreigner sitting on a bench onshore who was following my movements of the boat and he smiled approvingly , to my satisfaction and pride.
Nowadays when you go to the Burnham the boats no longer have sails; they just have oars as visitors just paddle back and forth boringly.

No comments: