Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Outfitting my 110



Despite a newbie in racing and in sailing for that matter, I had to learn fast how to outfit my boat if I were to be competitive and have a chance at beating my co-racers. Here then were the gears and arrangements I installed on my boat Sigwada.
1. My boat had to be repainted and finished smooth every year right before the race series. I had Mang Cesar the reliable boat contractor do this for a fee of P4000 at that time.
2. The mast and boom and spinnaker pole had to be checked for any cracks or defects, hull keel and rudder too.
3. All lines, spreaders, stays, cables and connections had to be checked for any frayings and had to be replaced.
4. All adjustments on the sails led to where I was seated, thus the outhaul, the boom vang, the traveller, even the jib line, downhaul or cunningham. I could then adjust at will even while racing depending on the wind condition and the point of sail. Lines were also double ended so that even when tacking I could make adjustments from whichever gunwhale I was.
5.Where the force needed is big, I installed multiple blocks to increase and lighten the purchase. This was true for the boom vang and the jib purchase.
6. My desired hardware was Harken the top quality boat gear.
7. My sails were NorthSails again the top quality sailmaker.
8. I installed a big boat compass in the middle right before the mainsail block to guide me in the upwind legs to spot windshifts headers and lifts.
With all these, I became quickly competitive and won races.

5 comments:

pingree8 said...

This is an interesting blog, what number 110 do you have?

- Marty Brown
Fleet Captain
110 Fleet 57 (Maine, USA)

sigwada said...

pingree8,
sorry since I sold my 110s I can no longer recall the numbers. Are you also a 110 sailor? would be glad to also hear from you and your races. thanks

sigwada said...

oops sorry I missed reading that you're a fleet captain, sir.I'd be glad to get connected and read once again your races.
I still have logs of practically all my races

sigwada said...

Hi pingree8,
I went back to see my pictures and it says my sail number is 581.
I'm also honored to be registered in your website as the link to Philippine 110s. Thank you sir.
Sigwada

Unknown said...

Hi
Don't know i you still use this blog - My name is justin and I used to sail at Manila yacht club in 1978 - 1981. My boad was an International 110 called Eniskillen - perhaps you know of it. When I bought it it was The Great Pumkin - I too used Ceasar to rebuild it for me ( he was great ) - and I think I remember George Hacket.

I also sailed the South China Sea Race in 1980 in a yacht called Orion ( which used to belong to Emmett Lowry.

Seeing your blog brought back fond memories!!

Justin
Justinwb@mac.com