Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Our circle of 110 racers


Our club fleet of 110 racers were just a handful but were a serious intense lot and comprise a very interesting profile.
There were first the kids Tom and Brian whose boat was named Double Trouble. At first they were cocky and winning over me, intimidating me with their young age. Their young age gave them the advantage of agility both in body and mind. But as the year's series went on my scores kept improving and by the time the finals came, they began to take notice of me. Tom began to address me as Uncle Rabbit due perhaps to my buck front teeth. More importantly they kept spying on my rigging and how I outfitted my boat wondering why it goes so fast suspecting I have a secret magic gear.
Next there was Sven a German teenager, He was also from International school, a very methodical guy who always tinkered with this boat. His boat had this unique graphic design that looked very nice while racing on water.
Then there were the couple Richard Morris and his wife. They were 40ish. He was working in IRRI as a rice scientist. They were very kind and decent. He loved his boat very much I could see and named it La Vieja. He knew the basics of sailing and won lots of races but again later on I won more races and I could see after such races he went to the club looking tired and frustrated.
Finally there was our fleet hotshot George Hackett and his crew JuanMa. Their boat named Indecision was high tech in rigging and gears and could go fast, I subsequently bought it. They won most of the races all throughout the series. except the final one and this was supposed to be the championship. This one I won definitively. I seemed to have come out of the blue and blew them off the course.
My secret weapon was simply a big compass which I had installed in the middle of my boat to guide me on the upwind leg spotting the shifts headers etc. And my new NorthSails racing manual which gave me all the tricks of racing.
All the same I liked this circle. We were not talking much to each other. Every weekend we just arrived at the club greeted each other casually and brought down our respective boats. After the races we would just exchange a few words, congratulating the winner. But there was much objective respect, no disparaging remarks, just the words Well Done to whovever won the last race. Our common bond was our love for the International 110 design boat and our zest for yacht racing.

No comments: