Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Extreme experiences on a Mirror

Sea tales are always a mixture of adventures , wonders, frustrations, unforgettable encounters.
Once, I set out on a Mirror alone as usual and headed off for the Luneta area. The wind was quite strong on that day perhaps 18 knots. But the Mirror could take it as it is relatively shortsailed and the hull is flat and sturdy. When I reached Luneta the wind got stronger and I decided to shelter in the inside area near Manila Hotel, between South Harbor and the Grandstand area. I figured I'd sit out the increasingly gale-like wind. I even thought of hopping into the Luneta Park and tying up but the waves were getting bigger which were crashing into the boulder size breakwater rocks which were also slippery.
So I steered off the edge and went further out but worst of all I could not tack correctly and get out. The steerage was too narrow and instead of moving forward the wind kept pushing me back closer and closer to the rocks. I felt there was a sort of Bermuda triangle pulling me to its vortex or some sort of enchanted force. I panicked not knowing what to do. Still I tried and tried tacking back and forth. Finally the wind decreased a little and I made some headway, getting out of that trap.
I negotiated my way out and sailed on a reach going back to the yacht club. By this time the wind was dying down, and was moderate midway at Malate. Then when I neared the yacht club, the wind completely died down. It was now dark about 8 o clock in the evening and I could not see anybody that could assist me. I swung the rudder to and fro and the jinx still was at me for I just turned in circles. Again I felt panic. How could this be? Earlier it was gale force wind now its the doldrums and it was playing a trick on me.
After some time, mercifully a yacht came by. It was John Morris who saw my predicament. He yelled at me if I needed help and he threw a line which I tied to the bow. He motored in and happily told the guys in the clubhouse how he rescued me. To his eternal credit points and to my utmost embarassment.
All the same I experienced that time the mysterious power and whim of the sea which I should now respect.

No comments: