Thursday, January 24, 2008

Farthest adventure on a Mirror

My farthest adventure in a Mirror was one New Year's Eve. I started to sail in the morning and just went north alone, stocked with two hamburgers and softdrinks. It was easy sailing, the wind was about 8 knots flat water and sail was reaching all the way. I traversed my usual route from the yacht club past Malate Church, Army Navy Club, Luneta Club, South Harbor. From this point I steered west and reached Fort Santiago. I went past the Pasig River passing by North Harbor, where there was a long row of ships and boats vying local destinations. After these came the ugly sight of Smoky Mountain smelling foul and smoldering from afar. Further north came nondescript houses with its attendant urban blight and noise. Still going north, the houses became scarcer and the coastline became more provincial. I felt sleepy just holding on to the helm with the sound of the waves constantly lapping the bow of the boat since the Mirror had a flat nose. I could have dozed off at some point. Finally nearing the border of Navotas, it looked like the beginning of Bulacan since the coast became greener with few houses. At this point I stopped and lowered the sails and just drifted and relaxed. Some kids swam and approached the boat like I was an explorer from the other side of the planet. I dove and swam with them. Afterwards, I ate the hamburgers I brought along.
After about 30 minutes, I turned back and sailed the long way home, following the same route. The sun was setting down it was a glorious sight the last sunset of the year and it was dark by the time I reached North Harbor. I just sailed by dead reckoning against the lighted coastline. Fireworks were being set off and I could see the bursting lights from afar. The sights from the sea was magnificent. I touched down the Yacht club just before midnight and the guards told me they were about to search for me . It was a wonderful experience, my first real long singlehanded cruise. I went home nobody ever knew I came from that unique adventure and this is the first time I write and talk about it after 27 years.

No comments: