Thursday, January 31, 2008

Starts are the most exciting

In yacht racing, I like most the excitement of starts. It is where the racer is most shrewd the most cunning the most smart. Upon getting out to the race course, I look at all the buoys and check their course bearings. Next, I scan the imaginary starting line between the committee boat and the pin end buoy. Thereafter I check the orientation of the wind. It is here where I know which end is favored. This is the secret of a smart start. I remember one Dragon race I alone discerned where the favored end was. All the other boats started at the other end doing a bandwagon effect. They thought I got it wrong only to find out that upon the starting gun I was way ahead of all of them.
Of course it is also important to forecast which side or part of the course is the wind strong and bending to. One must go to that side which has the stronger wind pressure; but also where the wind is having a header meaning the wind is veering away so that when one tacks, there is a shorter path to the windward mark.
Generally one must also start on starboard tack in order to have right of way no matter what. There are a thousand and one combinations and one must choose the best position, the best tack, the best end of the starting line.
When the ten minute gun goes, one must then watch the moves of the competitors where they' re going, whether they must be covered loosely or tightly.
When the 2 minutes to start goes, one must then calculate exactly how much time is needed to get back to the starting line. I often go from the starting line and make a reach at half time of which I turn back and go for the line, with a bit of an allowance.
Almost always I get the best start, which is very critical in winning the upwind leg and subsequently the whole race.

No comments: