Thursday, January 24, 2008

Second stage: International 110


2. International 110. This is a small keelboat but relatively long at 24 feet, primarily used for racing. It was designed by Raymund Hunt of Illinois USA before World War II. Sleek and pointed at both bow and transom like a canoe, it is very beautiful and tracks very well on the water especially going upwind. Its keel design ahead of its time is now used by state of the art America's Cup boats. In fact when you see America's Cup boats they look like International 110's racing. Up to now it is my favorite boat design. I purchased a 110 called Enniskillen from a German teenager named Sven who was precocious and a serious racer. I thought first the boat's name was German until I found out the boat was originally owned by Brian Murray a Scot whose hometown was Enniskillen whereas Sven did not change the name. I too did not name the boat and in the races I joined the committee just wrote No Name. After I got my second 110 I sold the first one to a Singaporean expat who named it Simoy or weak wind. They didn't win races.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI

I was the owner of Enniskillen, and named it. Enniskillen was my mothers hometown. I knew Brian Murray, and used to race against him.

When I bought the boat, it was called ' Greater Pumkin ', and before that was called ' Great Pumkin ' - after the Peanuts comic strip gag where Linus waits every Halloween in the pumkin patch for the Great Pumkin to visit !!